Friday, November 5, 2021

Late night thoughts

 Last night as I was working on falling asleep I was listening to the dogs snoring. My thoughts drifted to all the dogs in my life through the years. There hasn’t been a time except for a couple years that I have not had a dog in my life. 

When we were first married we had a Samoyed mix- Sasha she was a great dog and we took her out walking everywhere. We used to go to Camden State Park often when I would go with Bruce. We took her on so many trails she loved it. 

Typically we did Camden as an outing with the three of us . One day I was off from work so for a treat we got up headed out there about 8 AM just her and I. It was an early spring day there still snow on the ground that had melted some 

The air still had a bite to it,the walking trails were either too muddy to walk or still melting snow blocking them. So we stayed on the paved road and started our walk. Her tail was happily wagging away her nose taking in all the smells. I was listening to the birds singing the breeze had a kiss of warmer weather to come.

Behind me I heard a big rustle in the trees and when I looked around there was a huge herd of deer running towards us. I never really figured out what spooked them to have them towards us. 

They were so close I could see the bits of snow on their eyelashes- they stopped for a bit to look at the lone person and a dog. Then they circled us, melted  snow and mud spattered on my face . We just stood there as they ran past us up into the trees. Sasha just stood there she didn’t make a sound.Her eyes were on them and her ears were up. I often wondered why she never reacted and what made them pay us no mind. 

It is one of those moments that will forever stand out in my mind . I loved taking the dogs out there and hike trails , Something I can’t do anymore -I can walk on paved trails but those big hikes are out now.


No comments:

Post a Comment