This started February my life was great.
I was on break from school that morning I woke up fine.. I was chatting with my mom on the phone complained to her about my left artificial knee feeling stiff. By noon my knee was feeling sore was really stiff when I was walking. I laid down with an ice pack --by late afternoon I was unable to walk. I came down stairs in pain I was hardly able to walk .
Bruce took me to the ER and we ran tests we were really sure what was going on. Septic was the fear of the Dr . I was sent on to another ER they ran more tests sent home with antibiotics and told to call if anything got worse..
That night what should have been a five minute walk from the car to the house was a 20 mn walk. I was unable to move the pain was so bad it made my stomach turn.... giving the antibiotics 3 days the pain was worse The Dr had me come in--
He drew fluid out of my knee which was a horrible pain-unable to move and was admitted to the hospital. They started strong IV antibiotics--drew lots of blood -- thru the weekend I was informed I had MRSA in both blood stream and knee.. .
I remember feeling so out of it... so sick.. all I could think of was how will this affect my family- praying I wouldn't die again worried about how this will affect them. It was Zach's senior year I was looking forward to spending time at school with him having his last year... and how I didn't want to die and ruin his graduation.
After the weekend the decision was to remove the knee and they put in a cement spacer which had antibiotics in it......from there I went to the nursing home in Tyler for a month.
It was tough on all of us---but my family rallied together and got through that time .
Living in the same nursing home you once worked was an experience . There are a few residents still there from when I worked there and a few staff members. I have to say the staff kept my morale up.. if I needed to cry there was someone to hold my hand... if I needed to laugh someone was there...
But there were moments too of have to let the aides help with personal cares - needing someone to walk with me to keep me safe from falls. Those moments were tough even tho it was there job I still struggled with it.
I celebrated my son's 18th birthday ,my birthday and Easter there, it was sad my son told me Mom it doesn't matter were we are just so we can be together.
No comments:
Post a Comment