Thursday, August 1, 2019

A year ago

We are coming up to a year mark where a lot happened- I was still no weight bearing ,sitting in a wheelchair. I finished another round of IV antibiotics- my mother in law passed away. When we left Tyler to go to Benson for the visitation and funeral- I couldn't get into the suburban my one good leg just didn't have the strength to get me up there. After I got out of the vehicle that day I didn't ride in a car for almost 2 months . The night of the visitation things went I felt ok- felt bad that Bruce couldn't focus just on his family and mourn with them. I was always in the back of his mind- the day of the funeral I knew prior going that I was having quite a bit of pain...I noticed on the "good leg" I was starting to get a rash..

I opted out of going to the burial-- I knew getting into a car would be too much. The kids came back where we were staying with me. I remember going into the bathroom to change- I struggled getting on the toilet-- when it came time to stand up I couldn't . My good leg hurt and I had no power in it.

Zach had to help me get into the wheelchair and then hoist me on the bed. I have to say he is a champ he had no qualms in helping me .. He went and found Bruce- they called the ambulance and I was taken to the Benson hosp..I spent the night . They started me on an antibiotic and worked on getting ahold of my surgeon.  I don't remember much about any of it.. It was set up for me to be transferred to Marshall-

I had surgery on the "good leg" it was infected with staph- cultured MRSA too.. they cleaned it up- replaced the plastic parts. It took sometime for the leg to want to work...a week after that surgery they did the first step in preparing my leg to be fused .

After that I was sent to Sioux Falls for a week for testing to see if we could find out why we couldn't kill the infection..

So many surgeries-- so much going on in our world it sort of sucked the air out of us. I always feel bad that Bruce never really go to slow down and process the loss of his mom.. We have talked through later down the road..
Last year at this time things were so intense ... a year later we are camping-- grabbing our new normal

No comments:

Post a Comment