Friday, June 21, 2019

Last year at this time I was in so much pain-- no weight bearing. Bruce had to help with many of my personal cares. I am so grateful to be on this side of things.

My mind wanders to certain moments some of them are just little blips of time others are longer .
I was thinking today about the long needle they would use to stick into my knee joint to draw fluid out to test to see if the infection was still there. I was told by a Dr that beings most of our fluid in our knee is at the back of the knee it is hard to withdraw fluid.. It would hurt so bad when they would go drilling for fluid (ok not drilling but that is what it felt like ).

That was truly the most painful of needle things I had to endure during the whole time.
Next I think the worse surgery was when metal screws were put in my leg to secure the metal fixater - it was this bar the basically kept the gap where my knee was to keep it open until surgery.. I hurt so bad coming to after that surgery. I remember hugging my mom crying how bad it hurt ... once they had me settled and everyone went home .. the pain meds that they had given me wore off - I had my light on for just a few moments the nurse come in I was in tears --- usually I have great pain tolerance-- she was so nice she quickly left the room and promptly brought me something fast acting and then something longer term.. I wore that thing for a long time.. after the pain was under control-- wearing it wasn't really an issue.. it was alittle weird thinking that those screws were in my bone.
I still have one of those spots that has scar tissue in it were it puffs of -- and I massage it to break things up.

Having a PIC line put in was not all that big of a deal the first one they inserted while I was in surgery- the second I was awake -- my attitude was OH Heck you better knock me out.. but it truly wasn't a problem you don't really feel anything ,, and of the two or I had placed everyone was so supportive and comforting .
The antibiotics on the other hand were really harsh on my tummy and I could hardly eat -- I lived on tums- liquid antacids and anti diarrhea meds. it was the only way I survived .

It is funny how little things come back some days I might be grumbling about my pain in my hips-- then I get a flashback on oh yeah.... last year at this time I wasn't sure I was going to walk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment