Thursday, July 4, 2019

Happy Fourth of July

As a kid the Fourth was mainly about the town potluck picnic-- ice cream--ball games and Fireworks. I didn't put a whole lot of thought into what freedom meant. I was born into freedom... I didn't know war time -- my ancestors already paved the way for us to be here. So I just took things for granted I lived in a safe home--parents who loved us-extended family to spend time with. I didn't know fear as some of the war torn countries do. I don't think it even truly hit me what the soldiers and families went through to keep us free. I was a kid who never had to fear those losses ..
But I always was grateful-- and knew some had less--we weren't rich but that never mattered.


As I got older met more people listened to more stories I understood better- I knew there was sacrifices made. I still couldn't wrap my mind around the commitment that it took to sign up and say I am willing to die for my country. I didn't get how a complete stranger would put their life on the line to keep me safe. I knew my dad did it-- cousins and Uncles that did it. but I was still young..

Thru high school I got a grasp and while I still don't understand the hate that drive some people I got to see there was an evil that needed to be stood up too.

While I am not good at speaking out on politics--and sometimes I keep thoughts to myself..

But I have always supported the men and women who fought for us.. and understood what our flag stood for--I will always honor that.

When 911 hit I think that really was when things rang the loudest in my heart... evil came to us.. people I knew were headed to war..

Now I can't listen to a patriotic song or story with out goosebumps and tears... So the 4th to me is means Freedom due to blood and lives lost for me and my family free.
I love our country and the symbols that stand for it..
I know there is so much controversy in this world- but my heart is still with the basic--we are free and men and women are keeping me free ..

Have a safe holiday- enjoy your family time-- that has been made possible my the things our flag stands for .

No comments:

Post a Comment